Dealing with Grief: How to Find Hope and Healing in the Midst of Loss

Image by freepik


Grief is one of the inevitable happenings that cannot be excluded in the human cycle. It doesn't have to be related to death of a loved one as we always thought whenever we hear the word grief.

 

Humans do not only grief when someone die, but humans grief at every single point when they lost something precious to them.

 

Many times ago, while I was awaiting my admission, I had issues with my O levels, so I was doing them again. I wrote the exams with all strength that I had in me, and I did my best to ensure that I studied well. Unfortunately, the results were nothing to write home about and I couldn't help myself but weep so much. I prayed and fasted while writing the exams and I believed that God would come to through for me.

 

For days, I cried "rivers" and I wished that a miracle would just happen with my results and the grades would change to something that I desired. Every day, I would check the portal all over, I would refresh the page again and again, yet the results never changed.

 

I lost my appetite, I lost interest in things that I enjoyed, I became cranky and bittered.  I wore a gloomy face everywhere and my pupils knew that something was wrong, yet they couldn't pinpoint what was wrong with their dear teacher. All these times, I felt God was distant and powerless, I couldn't just allow my brain to believe that God would just keep silent over my results.

 

Nobody knew what was wrong with me, but all they knew was that I was grieving. Grieving does not only happen when we lose a dear one but whenever things don't go right as we planned or as we dreamed of as humans, we tend to enter the grief mode.

 

No man here on earth can say he or she has not grieved before. Everyone as long as there is breath has one time or the other enter into the grief mode.

 

Image by Freepik


  What is grief?

 

According to the Merriam-Webster's dictionary, grief means deep sadness especially for the loss of someone or something loved.

 

This meaning supplements the idea that grieving is not only when a loved person died. It is also a default mode that every individual enters into when something unexpected happens or when things don't go as planned.

 

Grieving can lead to many things, which include;

 

  • Depression.

 

 Allowing grief to take the best of us as humans leads to a mental instability called depression. Depression causes lack of interest, and it can lead to mental disorder if not taken care of.

 

  • Bitterness

 

Grief births bitterness against humans and against God. When you are bitter, you tend to lose connection with God because it questions His identity and ability. Bitterness can also aggravate to hatred.

 

  • Lack of interest

 

Grief also births lack of interest in a lot of things. It causes lack of interest in activities that one enjoyed doing. Lack of interest in food and all other things.

 

  These are just a few of what grief can cause. It does no good, but harm spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally and even financially.

 

As we have concluded that grief is inevitable, how then do we find hope and heal fast in our times of grief.

We will draw out how we can help and find hope in times of our grieving from the Scriptures. How did humans in the Bible overcome grief and what are those things they did. How to go for healing and hope during grieving times are;

 

 

Image by jcomp on Freepik

 

1. Prayers.

 

This is the last thing on every grieving person's mind is prayers. This shouldn't be, as it is the best way to come out of grief quickly. Call on God, talk to Him about your feelings, tell Him your fears, your worries and what you think about the situation.

Ps.31.9 - Have mercy and be gracious unto me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; with grief my eye is weakened, also my inner self and my body.

 

David showed us an example of what our first response should be to grief. If you want to throw tantrums before Him, do it and let Him see and feel your pains.

 

 

 

2. Speak Out and have Godly people around you.

 

Many times, when we are grieving, we don't think it right to talk to people or let people around us. Be sure that you have people who can help you come out quickly around you. Never grieve alone, ensure to have Godly people around to help you.

Remembered when Mary and Martha were grieving their brother, Lazarus, they consulted Jesus, because they knew He can help them by telling them words that will sooth and take their pains away.

 

  Remember that silence kills faster than cancer. Instead of brooding, get in touch with brethren and have a heart-to-heart talk with them.

 

 

 

3.  Avoid seclusion and fellowship.

 

A lot of people when grieving wants to always stay indoors. To heal quickly, leave seclusion and fellowship with loved ones, friends and brethren.

 

Don't stay indoors alone, it can result into depression. One of the best ways to heal quickly is to fellowship with people of like minds that can help you find you again.

 

 

4. Exercise!

 

Exercising helps to break out from grief quickly. Exercise in this context does not mean going to the gyms and going on a tread mill or carrying heavy dumbbells. Exercise in this context means relaxing. Go for recreational activities, listen to Godly music, eat balanced diet, smile regularly and say good things to yourself and remain positive.

 

 

Image by jcomp on Freepik


Conclusion

 

Grieving as inevitable as it is can make or mar when we allow it to take the best of us. Instead of having to brood, table it before God, seek help, exercise, love yourself and remain positive.

 

Doing all of these enable you to find yourself and be yourself again. Don't let grief mode take the best of you.

 


Follow us on our socials!

Follow us on Twitter.

Follow our WhatsApp Channel

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Comments